Friday, July 09, 2010

The Hundreds and Thousands Sons, or Prospero: the clean-up

As I said, I have at last finished the unfeasibly ferocious epic that is Prospero Burns, the latest Horus Heresy novel. The book itself didn't give me any problems, per se, but regular readers will know that it has been badly delayed because, during the course of writing, I was set back by the sudden occurence of late-onset epilepsy. Such larks!

I had to work my way through the initial episodes and the subsequent diagnosis. In re-arranging my life around the condition (and the medication that came with it), I sort of had to learn how to write a novel again - and remember what the sacred feth I'd been trying to do with the one that was already underway.

Anyway, you know all this. I'm done now. PB is finished. I've got back on the horse, and I think I've delivered a bit of monster. I mean, of course, monster in the good sense of the word.

I thought you might be amused by these scene-of-crime pictures. This is how the monkey forge looked in the immediate aftermath of the ritual typing of the final full stop. I took a few snaps for posterity before clearing the decks.






This is the Primary Clone POV shot. Post-It plot-point mosaic City.









Here we have the right hand side of the desk spread (a view that was too big for one shot). Of particular note, the big "Master Book of Prospero Burns Ideas".





To the left of the Big Desk, the box-loads and stacks of ref.













And to desk-right, more notes, notebooks and ref (some physical items, as you can see).

On Monday, I'll be posting a short taster of the novel, the promised extract to whet your appetites and your axes. Monday at noon, UK time. Don't be late.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a hand axe in the last photo. I of all the items, this gives me a moment's pause.

-- Richard

Dju said...

— I love this Mac keyboard. Doesn't produce more than a hush under your fingers ; Sylvia bought it for me when she was finally fed up of hearing me plonking away on the one I had before, typewriter-style.
— I wouldn't keep an axe so close to my computer, fearing that I might hack it/the book I'm translating/myself to bits out of frustration sometimes.
— A guitar ? Should we expect some moments of epic guitar playing around the fire camp ? I bet Bjorn the Fell-Handed could pull out a good riff.
— This master book of ideas is huuuuge !
— Close but no zing.

Allandaros said...

I say, Dan, is that a copy of the IllumiFNORDnatus! trilogy I see peeking out there in your reference materials?

Matthew Churchill said...

Ooh... a peek into the inner sanctum! I like. 'How to Win on the Battlefield' sounds interesting...
M

Chief - said...

Thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date. Love the pict feeds. I'm quite happy knowing I'm not the only one still using post-its.

Anonymous said...

The photos are very cool! I love "artist's workspace" shots. :)

Matthew Churchill said...

... Heironymous Bosch paper-weights? What else have we here...

Matthew Churchill said...

... two dinosaur bones in a dishcloth seller's carryall?! A map of the Middle East... and a reference to 'The All-Seeing Eye Singularity'. Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

The "epicness" of the book seems to be in proportion to the work-space it was created in - love those pics! Can't wait for the extract.

I could never use that keyboard for long though, because of the size/angle. Whatever works :)

- Jon

Anonymous said...

The axe is my favorite bit, just what one needs for some inspirational waving about.

Anonymous said...

I bought that very same National Geographic to help me paint wolf pelts for my pre heresy Space Wolf army!

Anonymous said...

Dan,

I'm intrigued to know what authors do once they have finished a book. Do you jump up and down in the air for joy, crack open a beer, or sit back with an exhausted look on your face.

Tom

James said...

OMG I can't wait to read it!!

sredni vashtar said...

fuckin' A, sir. congratulations on an epic victory.



(...upping contrast on photos in feverish search for Ultimate Secrets of the Galaxy)

Xhalax said...

It's almost gratifying to know that I'm not the messiest person in the world while at work.

And rock on January!

Astro-Thumps said...

Congrats on finishing up the book and thanks for the insight into your workspace.

Can't wait to buy it

sredni vashtar said...

not sure about the penis enlargement pills subplot, Anonymous. I'd have saved that for the World Eaters novel.

Big said...

The Countdown is on......cant bloody wait!
GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Big said...

What is Smrtici Naklad?
Warhammer book by Dan Abnett?

Frank said...

Nice pictures! They give quite an impression what pile of work really stands behind a well written BL novel.
Actually I was really astonished that you use that much secondary literature and sources in the course of writing.
In my petty imagination I always thought you and the other BL authors would simply sit down in front of their notebook and start writing, checking their ideas from time to time, whether they are in accordance with some mysterious arcane warhammer almanach which contains all the official background, and all that wonderful plots and the story depth are just created by mere will and writing skill.

Very encouraging!

Jim Johnston said...

Glad to hear the news. I read a ton of books, historical fiction, Sci-Fi/Fantasy and mystery as well as Ancient History. NOBODY writes as well as you in your genre and I will never be able to get enough. There!, I've said it! I feel so much better now. Cheers from the US.

brendenc said...

How was the book "The Sagas of Icelanders"? I saw it and really wanted to get it. I'm really into Vikings and Space Wolves and am always looking for a good book of both. (Hence why I am very much anticipating your book.)

Anonymous said...

I dont know if its been said before
did you know that John Gramatticus is also a character in Ian Mcewans Saturday.
love your work btw